Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

The dreaded Flu

Over the past few years I have been more into homeopathic remedies...vitamins...probiotics.....
It was a little before Bryn was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, however that life change caused me to be more and more interested in "the natural way". I have seen much less gunk since I have changed things, and started using natural remedies...but even more than the actual remedies, I love the precautionary supplements... The immune boosters and my all time favorite...Liquid Silver. Man I use that stuff for everything!

However...when it comes down to my family getting sick, I know it is going to happen. There is no shield around us just because we use certain vitamins and supplements. As much as I love those things, I am NOT in any way opposed to over the counter meds and prescriptions. I have a good mix of both in my house...and Im not afraid to use them! ;)

The flu has entered our home. Last week, Isabella spiked a fever...I mean SPIKED... like normal to 103.5 out of the blue! WAM BAM fever time. Uggggggg! That stubborn fever refused to break.. it was like clock work with the motrin and tylenol....for  SEVEN days!!!!! Poor kid was home from school on the couch. She was determined to go to school two days in because of a field trip. We pumped her full of everything (no we didn't "drug" the kid) Motrin, Tylenol, vitamins, magic water...aka...liquid silver ;)  and lots of fluids and she went. I wasn't happy about that!!! BUT the temp was lower that day... not gone :( but lower....needless to say, she stayed home the rest of the week.
I'm sure some will think this makes me a "bad" mom... not just because my kid didn't feel 100%, but because I exposed their kids to it. Well first... technically they are contagious before you even know they are sick...and second, I think it makes me a good mom, because my baby was so happy that day. She had talked about this field trip since September, she wasn't missing it! Third...she's still alive, and so are the other kids! ;)

Her's finally broke, no real other symptoms, other than some congestion but not bad. Kale is the next victim...coming home from school the other day with a HORRID cough and temp of 104! His school was having an "Operation Celebration" party that night, we were supposed to all go as a family and make a craft to send to some troops for Christmas. Don't worry, we didn't go to that. He spent the afternoon/evening laying on the couch.

We made it to the Clinic the next day and they tested him for the flu. Honestly I didn't realize they actually did that. I mean, I have heard about it, but non of my kids have ever been tested. Anyway...they put him on an inhaler for his awful coughing fits...and of course...after spending an hour at the pharmacy, they called me to tell me we had to go back to get more meds, because his Flu test came back positive and he actually had a double strain of it. The nurse told me the pharmacy actually called her back asking how sick this patient was!? However, he's a tough lil man, because despite all that, he was acting pretty good.



SO....now we are on the mend...and we PRAY no one else gets it. Not holding my breath on that, but I can pray.



No comments:

Post a Comment