Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

No super hero's live here

Sometimes the days just feel like they are never going to end. If they never end, how are we supposed to get through this deployment with our sanity in tact??
Especially when everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, and WAY too early. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and when I do have some, it doesn't help. On mornings like this I try hard to change the mood of the house, Quick! Sometimes I succeed and other times I fail miserably.
It would be much easier to be a morning person if everyone would sleep in their own beds all night. We have good weeks and bad weeks when it comes to this issue... I have 1 child who ALWAYS sleeps through the entire night. Then there is the baby, she is actually a pretty good sleeper for the most part, with the exception of teething. She is easy though, put a little orajel on those gums and lay her back down with her blanket, and she is asleep again. Unless of course the clock says 4am or later... I swear she can tell time! She refuses to go to sleep in her crib after that, so she ends up in my bed. However most times she will go back to sleep once there. Miss E, now there is a tough cookie! At least she has progressed from crawling into my bed at 1am to waiting until 5am. I'm trying hard to get her to stay in her bed until it is sunny outside. Some days she will others... Nope! On those "nope" days, I usually end up giving in for the sake of not waking up the rest of the house.
Then there is "the boy". He was doing so good... sleeping in his bed all night and not getting up until 7am. Where did he go, and who is this child that keeps sneaking into my bed in the middle of the night?
We resort to charts, where they can work their way up to something special. We do good for a while... and then we are right back at the beginning again. YAWN!
Don't get me wrong, we have many really great days. It's is the tough ones that make me want to go get the biggest box I can find, package them up and ship them off to daddy. I'm sure he would love to have them anyways! They can all sleep on his bunk! 
So many people tell me "you are Super Mom". Now I do appreciate people trying to be nice, give me a compliment, or trying to make me feel better. I assure you though... I am NO super mom. I am just trying to do the best I can for my family. Somedays that brings out a very ugly side of me.... a far cry from a super hero! Maybe it's because I have 4 small children, along with my husband being on the other side of the world. I know that is exactly it. I also know people mean no harm in saying this, they are just (like I said), trying to be nice. Or maybe they really do believe this? 
Well, just so you all know, I do not put on a cape and fly around the house like wonder women when no one is looking. We are a "typical" family, I am a "typical" mom, and we have 4 "typical" children. If you were a fly on my wall on the days that start off like I described above, you would surely realize the super hero cape is still in the box. ;)


Despite my lack of love for the term "super mom", I do so appreciate all the love and support our family has been given these past few months. We have the most amazing family and friends. 
So here is to more of the good days and less of the "wrong side of the bed" days!
Besides, I don't think the package would make it through the post office!

2 comments:

  1. We are not super women. We don't expect anyone.to "feel sorry for us" either. We are "typical moms" in a unique and challenging situation faced with the norms of everyday life with the added endless worry, longing for our husbands, who are a world away. It is difficult to truly convey to others how we truly feel on a given day. We try to stay strong for everyone yet when no ones around we cry in the silence of our own home, alone and needing the loving arms of our husbands. It is one of those situations that unless you have exoerienced a deployment or have been the wife of a public servant like police officer then you can't fathom the stress. You can empathize but that's it. I had no idea how I was going to react to a deployment and its been truthfully full of every emotion possible. Resentment as I would see other families together at the mall during Christmas to overwhelming pride to be the wife of such a strong compassionate loving man who sacrifices his time with his family to serve in a country that doesn't really value his being there. Sara is such a strong independent lively emotional firecracker of a woman who I am proud to say is a close friend. I would do anything for her. She needs to know she is normal and that its ok to voice to family and friends exactly what you need. Sara you nurture everyone but yourself. Hooah? Now work on that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you and the kids is gorgeous!!!! xxx ooo

    ReplyDelete