Looking back over this past year... I am so grateful to be able to say, we have all come out with no battle scars. It has been a long year... a tiring year... a stressful year. All this said, I can honestly say I do not regret OUR decision to re-join the military. Every family has tough choices to make and every family sacrifices in one way or another. If it weren't for those who do join, we wouldn't have the freedom that we do have.
Sadly our military gets paid much less then those sitting on capital hill with their thumbs...... ahh never mind, I don't want to go there. Thats not what this post is about.
Honestly my point is, a lot of people just don't understand why he would want to do what he is doing, or why we would want to do what we are doing. It doesnt matter how I explain or how many times, some people are just never going to understand. Thats the funny thing though... they have the right to their own opinion. Ask your self where those rights of freedom come from.....
SO... as I started saying we have come out on top of this and stronger than ever! No it isn't completely over... but so close, and thats enough to give me a BIG smile! My husband is a hero... not just because he is a service member, but because of who he is here for our family. We love him so much and are so excited to have him home soon.
There have been days we have both been short with each other. Even through skype we have our moments. It isn't always peaches and creme. In general daily life can just get to you at times... so put oceans between you and a lack of communication at times and well, it's life. 90% of the time however we had the best conversations, and the kids... they loved every second of seeing their daddy. Even if they didn't say a word!
I am so thankful for everyone here at home who has helped me, in anyway. Nothing has gone un-noticed or un-appreciated, not even the littlest things! There were times I wished I could have just run away from everything. my stress level went through the roof and I just wished I could stick my head in a bucket of water and scream as loud as I could. It's tough being the only parent around with 4 little ones... I think one thing that would have made this year a little easier, would have been having someone come over every night for an hour and put the kids to bed. ( I would have to leave though and come home after they were asleep ) OK, I guess every other night would have been sufficient ;)
I have read enough sad stories of deployments not ending quite so happily (in more ways than one). I am blessed to be able to say this is going to be a long story with a happy ending. The units have successfully fulfilled their mission, and everyone is coming home.
This year was not dull to say the least... I was so busy! I didn't have a lot of time to sit and think about the fact that he wasn't home. It was good to be busy... it didn't make the year go by fast though. Although there are times I say, "Wow, it's been a year already!" It really did feel long, and although I had my kids who I love so much, and my family and friends... it was lonely. I just can not wait to be whole again!
The weight is slowly being lifted, baby steps, but the finish line is just around the corner. And as I look down the road ahead all I see is bigger, better, awesome things for our family!
God brought us to this, and he absolutely brought us through it!
Sara that is so beautifully written; you are definitely a Strong Army Wife; also a very loving, supportive one and a very special mom. You did great and I am so glad that Ryan is coming home and that you will all be together again. I can't believe a year has gone by already either. I hope you will continue your blog. Love reading it and you do a great job at writing. xxx ooo
ReplyDeleteLove this post. So glad that this part of the journey is almost through for you and your family. These guys (and girls!) are all heros over there, and at home...as are the families! They couldn't do it without great support systems. Congrats on making it to the finish of this deployment, and stronger for it! :)
ReplyDelete