I always knew I would be a wife and a mom. like most people I had quite a few ideas of what I would like "to be when I grow up". At one point I was actually going to "go away" to college. Not very far, still in NH, but then I decided.... "I just don't want to do this". It didn't feel right, so I didn't do it. I ended up working at a job that I HATED!!!! Then, the office was "down sizing" (Yeah.... WHAT-EVER!!) is pretty much what I thought when they threw out that line. It was a blessing in disguise. I took the opportunity to go to cosmetology school. LOVED IT! Then worked in a salon for 5 yrs. full time until I had my girls, and then a yr. part time after they were born. It was great!
Which brings me to now... being a stay at home wife and mom, is really truly what I wanted, and I am so blessed to be able to do this. We do what we can to make this work. We sacrifice to make it work... I mean, HELLO..... Daddt is 1/2 way around the world! That is the biggest sacrifice we have had to make, and a very hard decision it was! Although we did A LOT of thinking and praying about it, and it is really what we needed to do for our family. We had a few years off from the "Army life", secretly... ok maybe not as secretly for him as it was for me, BUT we both wanted it back. We talked about it a lot, and finally we both felt good about it. So here we are!
We all reflect back on memories... memories that help to make us who we are. Good or bad, fun or not so fun, they get us to where we are today. For some, thats maybe not so great.... for me however, it is Awesome!
A memory I thought about the other day was a fun one, a spontaneous one. He and I had gone out to eat at Applebee's. When we were leaving we were asking each other, "So, what do you want to do now?" You know, because you can't just go home... thats BORING! I said, "I want to see the statue of liberty", He said "OK". So we got in the car, and I really did not think for one second, that we would drive to NY. I was so wrong! He started driving and I was like "We aren't really going to NY"..... he pulled into a gas station and said "Go get a map" ..... a MAP??!! Who uses a map? OK, well I guess this was before the GPS was "big".... although we probably could have used one, maybe we wouldn't have driven over the same bridge with a $6 toll, about 4 times! ;)
Anyway, it was fun. We did drive to NY, we saw a little bit of the statue of liberty, but not very close or very well. We couldn't figure out how to get to it. I did take some pictures.
....This would be where I insert a picture....
However, none of the pictures came out. So I have no proof of this event ever taking place. I swear it did though! Yes... we left Leominster MA around 8 pm, got to "the general area of the statue" around 1am (give or take). Like I said, we went over a bridge a few times, we drove in a few circles, and we somehow ended up in a line of NY City taxi cabs in a big parking lot (which must have been their "home base").... we kinda stuck out like a sore thumb there.
We ended up in the neighborhood of the NY Times while they were loading all the delivery trucks up with the paper. Then we parked and tried to walk a bit, there was a little grassy area along the water. I had to pee. HEY, we had been in the car for a couple hrs!! Well there happened to be a port-a-potty in this area. It was quite dark though, and we had to jump a small fence to get to it. (remember it is about 1, maybe 1:30am). We walked along the water (for a few minutes ;) ), then we got in the car and decided to head home. We stopped in a rest area for about an hr for a power nap, and then continued home... getting back to my parents house around 8am(ish). I don't think either of us had to work that day... if we did, we didn't go, we slept!
I love silly memories like that... I love when they just pop into my head and make me smile! I love making more memories now as Husband and Wife, and with our children. Even this year... however hard it may be, it is a memory we are making, that will forever make us stronger and hold us all together. We can do this, we are doing this, and we will finish this a very stable and a very blessed family!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment